It is tough for entrepreneurs to get started with their “big ideas”. Having seen far too many young (and some not so young) flounder and lose precious seed capital we have designed a number of small business consulting services to support the entrepreneurial process, helping to increase the survival rates for innovative start-up companies who become customers. We will only deal with entrepreneurs with feasible projects where they will be offered a specialised menu of support resources and services. The resources open to the entrepreneur include:
- Provision of physical space,
- Management coaching,
- Help in developing an effective business plan,
- Administrative and accounting services,
- Technical support,
- Business networking,
- Advice on Intellectual Property, and
- Sources of funding.
B) Commercialisation of IP
Often, though not always, it is important to protect and commercialise the intellectual property in an early stage growth phase as a way of creating substantial new value for the organisation. This process may require patents or copyrights or preservation of trade secrets. Other small business consulting services offered cover business names, logos and similar branding techniques that can benefit from trademark protection. In Australia, patents, trademarks, trade secrets and copyright is governed by law and we will engage professional partners to assist with the necessary legal advice.
Depending upon the size and resources of our customers, our approach to commercialising the intellectual property will vary but overall we have developed a successful multi-step model for the commercialisation of IP and innovation by linking a number of key steps.
- Control ownership of the Intellectual Property (IP)
- Validation of the marketability of the IP through effective research
- Align the IP with market conditions and expectations
- Plan multiple revenue streams for the IP through market segmentation
- Ensure adequate production capability and financial capacity to exploit the new products
- Create shareholder wealth through commercial exploitation of the IP.
C) Angel Investors
By providing access to deals and angel investing best practices education, training and tools we offer opportunities for early stage companies to present their business case for funds to a sophisticated and diverse network of angel investors across Australia and internationally.
We offer a range of angel investor and small business consulting services including:
- Understanding angel Investing
- Doing the deal: Term Sheets
- Due Diligence
- Valuation and Portfolio Strategies
- Valuation for Entrepreneurs
- Post-Investment Relationships